Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Chinese Wonderland Board Game App

Looking for more Mandarin practice to help your student review this summer? I'm still gathering materials to help my daughter emerge from summer vacation a happy, well-rounded, and rested 6 year old, who still happens to remember the majority of what she picked up in Mandarin class this year. I'm not sure how the children would feel reviewing their textbook all summer, when the teachers have already thoroughly covered it with them this year, but I do like the idea of using the same material presented in a different format. I recently discovered that Chinese Wonderland has a second app for children who have gone through the Level 1, traditional Chinese, textbook. The only real downside is that it appears to be for iPads only. It's a board game format, where a die is rolled and you advance around the board completing various tasks that review the material presented in the Level 1 textbook. Each spot on the board has a different task and you can land on the spot several times before repeating the same material.
The format is such that it works well for students to do it unsupervised, which means a nice break for me. Cute animation and virtual "stickers" help keep the children motivated. I picked this up for $.99 (It's also been free off and on), and use it with Cilla along with the other Wonderland app. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment